But with a little culinary creativity, I came up with a solution to this cooking conundrum:
|Mexican-style black beans and rice with mozzarella and fresh tomatoes|
Cooked in five minutes using only a hotel microwave and refrigerator (though you could easily make due without the refrigerator). This is also makes a good "OMG I just got home from work/school and I have to eat something NOW!" recipe.
- 1 can Eden Organic Black Beans and Rice (Caribbean or Mexican style). A statement on their gluten status can be found here.Want to make your own black beans and rice? Here's my favorite recipe.
- Grated Mozzarella cheese* (if you don't have access to a fridge I bet string cheese could also work!).
- 1/2 Tomato, diced
- ~1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt to taste
You will also want to bring a can opener, plates/knives/spoons, and of course your gluten-free toaster.
Empty about 1/2 to 2/3 of the rice and beans can onto a plate. Stir in the salt and cumin. Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes on top and enjoy!
BONUS: What to do with that gluten-free toaster you dragged all the way out here!
|Open-faced tomato and cheese on toast|
- Gluten-free bread of your choice
- Good quality hard cheese (I used my most recent obsession, Gran Queso from Whole Foods)
- The other half of that tomato
- One clove of garlic (optional)
- Olive oil (optional)
Toast the bread. Cut the garlic clove in half and rub a small amount into the toast. Add a bit of olive oil to the bread and assemble. Yay!